[Dnsmasq-discuss] Multicast dns

Simon Kelley simon at thekelleys.org.uk
Mon Apr 23 11:56:26 BST 2007

Tom Fanning wrote:
> Hi all
>
> Having just installed Ubuntu 7.04, I'm having issues resolving domain
> names ending in .local (accessible through router-to-router VPN), for
> example vault.edgebyte.local. The following packets are seen:
>
> http://tomnrob.dyndns.org/misc/mdns-capture.log
>
> That packet capture is triggered when doing a
> wget http://vault.edgebyte.local
>
> wget falls over with a name resolution error. Same with pings, tcp
> connects etc.
>
> I found a posting about an assumption somewhere that .local names are
> "Zeroconf" names and should not be resolvable by any DNS servers.
> http://linux.derkeiler.com/Newsgroups/linux.redhat/2006-01/msg00159.html
>
> My dnsmasq resolves all my .local addresses just fine (by means of an
> upstream server for those specific domains, over the VPN tunnel), and
> all other client machines (different OSes) resolve these names
> absolutely fine from dnsmasq.
>
> I realise that it's not directly a dnsmasq thing, but it would be great
> if dnsmasq were to support these Ubuntu clients which now seem to choose
> to follow this (faulty?) assumption. I'm not sure, but I think this is a
> retrograde step brought in with Ubuntu Feisty 7.04 - I don't remember
> this coming up as an issue with previous versions.
>
> Drop me a reply with any comments/feedback/requests by all means.

What behaviour is needed? If the problem can be solved by having the DNS
server return "No such domain" for anything that ends in .local, then
such behaviour is already available: adding

local=/local/

to /etc/dnsmasq.conf will do it.

Other special-case behaviour for a domain is easy to implement, but only
if we know what is needed.