[Dnsmasq-discuss] Multicast dns

Simon Kelley simon at thekelleys.org.uk
Mon Apr 23 14:22:54 BST 2007

Tom Fanning wrote:
>> OK, my understanding (which might be wrong) is this:
>
> <snip>
>
>> On the other hand, just editing /etc/nsswitch.conf to remove the mDNS
>> resolver would do the same thing.
>
> ... the vital remaining part of the puzzle that I couldn't find. Thank you.
>
>> Hmm, difficult.
>>

> Point taken, I'll go away now. It was very late last night when I posted.
> Sorry for the noise.

Not at all, It's a reasonable suggestion that dnsmasq should be
configurable to listen for mDNS and reply to everything: Even with the
nsswitch.conf fix, that has to be fixed on every new Ubuntu Feisty
install, a dnsmasq configuration tweak would do it for  a whole network
and if mDNS was not otherwise in use, nothing is lost.

OTOH, against doing this is that it breaks "real mDNS" so it's  a bug to
fix another bug. Also it's possibly bloat for dnsmasq and of minor real
world use for most people. A judgement call, like most possible
enhancements.