[Dnsmasq-discuss] log rotation again...

Carlos Carvalho carlos at fisica.ufpr.br
Mon Apr 30 16:36:29 BST 2007

Thanks for the release, the changelog is impressive :-)

I'm reviewing the machine configs to change to syslog-ng and
remembered about getting dnsmasq rid of syslog. Looking at the mail
folder I found I missed this answer from you...

Simon Kelley (simon at thekelleys.org.uk) wrote on 28 March 2007 09:43:
 >Carlos Carvalho wrote:
 >> Simon Kelley (simon at thekelleys.org.uk) wrote on 27 March 2007 12:32:
 >>  >The next release includes the ability to log direct to  a file, without
 >>  >using syslog at all: that might help you there.
 >>
 >> Good! Please, include the ability of closing and reopening the file
 >> when receiving a signal, so that we can rotate logs without restarting
 >> dnsmasq.
 >
 >It's not very easy to do this, because dnsmasq drops root, so it no
 >longer has the permissions to close and reopen the file.

One can configure the dnsmasq log file to be writable by its userid so
that it doesn't need root.

 >I tested it using the logrotate "copytruncate" option, and it works
 >fine, without this facility.

The problem with copytruncate is that it may cause some entries to be
lost, so it should be used as a last resort only.

Maybe in a next release this possibility could be included... :-)