[Dnsmasq-discuss] segfaults in 2.39 after a while

Joe Landman landman at scalableinformatics.com
Sat Jun 16 23:55:43 BST 2007

Problem of my own making.

Joe Landman wrote:
> I am having an issue where 2.39 segfaults right away upon restart.  It
> happens after a while with a booted system.  I restart dnsmasq a few
> times before this, then it refuses to restart.  Running it with the -d
> option doesn't help.  One of my scripts forces a restart of dnsmasq
> after a new DHCP address has been registered, via the scripting method.
>   Instead of a restart, should I simply send a SIGHUP?
>
> Will try 2.38 and see if that works.  Also will test 2.40.

In the script file one calls during dhcp address operations, it is a
particularly bad idea to restart the server.  Sending a HUP is fine, but
turning off the parent from the child is in a subshell is a Bad Idea (tm).

Replaced the call in my script from /etc/init.d/dnsmasq restart to
killall -HUP dnsmasq and it works without causing the segfault.

--

Joseph Landman, Ph.D
Founder and CEO
email: landman at scalableinformatics.com