[Dnsmasq-discuss] Multiple domains

Jima jima at beer.tclug.org
Thu Jul 12 15:47:17 BST 2007

On Thu, 12 Jul 2007, Simon Kelley wrote:
>Didster wrote:
>> In order for this to work, we need to setup some kind of split DNS so
>> the address for server.acme.com is returned as 10.0.0.6 from inside.
>>
>> My first attempt was this:
>>
>> 10.0.0.3                server       server.achme.com
>>
>> Which works - but seems somewhat long winded for lots of hosts.
>>
>> Is there a better way of doing this?
>
> Sadly, there isn't. It would be nice to have, but is more difficult than
> it seems for historical reasons. Said reasons have been aired on the
> mailing list before, so I won't repeat them here.

  Hmm, there's possibly *another* way of doing this.  I won't say it's
better, and it may not apply to your particular setup, but it's an idea.
  If the only thing being hosted on the IP of the external server.achme.com
is the same services/content as the internal server.achme.com, you could
do this:

alias=123.45.67.89,10.0.0.3

  (In your examples you were inconsistent about the internal IP, .3 vs.
.6, so I'm assuming .3.)
  Replace 123.45.67.89 with server.achme.com's external IP, obviously.
  Upside: any DNS queries that would otherwise point to the external IP,
instead go to the internal one.  Downside: If you have anything that's
only running on the external host, this approach won't work (or you'll
have to provide that service internally as well).

  Take it or leave it. :-)

      Jima