[Dnsmasq-discuss] Re: Multiple mac addresses to one ip

Aaron D. Brooks aaron.brooks at sicortex.com
Fri Aug 17 18:40:58 BST 2007

Yaakov,

Joshua is right, you can do this by specifying the same client ID for
your DHCP client. Usually your client ID defaults to the MAC address
but most DHCP clients allow you to override this. ("dhcpcd -I
<CLIENTID>...", "udhcpc -c <CLIENTID>", I don't think pump can pass
a specified client ID.)

Assigning IP address based on requested hostname would work some of
the time but, since you'd likely switch between the wired / wireless
networks before the lease times out, you'd hit points where you
wouldn't be able to acquire the lease. Client ID trumps all lease
association mechanisms, including MAC address (though you don't
normally notice this since the client ID _is_ the MAC address by
default).

HTH,

Aaron

--