[Dnsmasq-discuss] Error "Ignoring DHCP host name ... illegal domain part"

Simon Kelley simon at thekelleys.org.uk
Sun Aug 26 13:23:31 BST 2007

Lars Noodén wrote:
> I would like dnsmasq to dole out IP numbers to any client connecting via
> one specific ethernet interface on the server.  I've installed dnsmasq
> and it seems to work for the most part, but does not dole out IP numbers.
>
> Looking at the error log, I see the following error message for each
> connection attempt:
>
> 	"Ignoring DHCP host name foo.local because it has an
> 	illegal domain part"
>
> I'm probably missing something fairly obvious in the configuration,
> where should I be looking?

You should be able to fix that error by adding

domain=local

to the config file. Dnsmasq only allows DHCP hosts to specify their own
FQDN if the domain matches its configuration, to avoid a security hole
where a rogue DHCP client claims to be www.microsoft.com to
www.citibank.com and redirects all traffic to itself.

However, that problem shouldn't have stopped DHCP from working; the
clients should still get addresses.

> If it matters, this question is with Dnsmasq v 2.31 on OpenBSD 4.1.

It's possible that you need a later version of dnsmasq: from the
changelog for 2.35:

         Note that no version of dnsmasq before 2.35 will work for
         DHCP under OpenBSD 4.0 because of a kernel bug.

I don't know if also this applies to 4.1, it depends on if the OpenBSD
kernel bug was fixed. The latest version of dnsmasq is 2.39