[Dnsmasq-discuss] illegal domain part warnings

richardvoigt at gmail.com richardvoigt at gmail.com
Wed Sep 5 04:57:52 BST 2007

On 9/2/07, Stephen Atty <steve_atty at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> I've got dnsmasq set up on my home network and its
> working extremely well.
>
> I do however have a slight problem - which might not
> be a problem with dnsmasq but with the way I've got
> something set up.
>
> I have a laptop which I use at work and at home. It
> gets its IP address dynamically in both networks.
>
> When I power up the laptop at home I get the following
> message in the /var/log/warn file:
>
> Sep  1 09:05:53 strauss dnsmasq[2940]: Ignoring DHCP
> host name KODALY.myworks.domain.com because it has an
> illegal domain part.
>
> ipconfig /all on the laptop (XP Pro) shows:
>
> Windows IP Configuration
>
>         Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : KODALY
>         Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . :
> myworks.domain.com
>         Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
>         IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
>         WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
>         DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . :
> myworks.domain.com
>                                             tty.org.uk
>

> Everything is working fine as far as I can tell. So
> the question is:
>
> 1) Do I just ignore the message and leave things as
> they are
> 2) Tweak dnsmasq to stop it reporting the error
> 3) Tweak my XP config so its primary DNS suffix
> changes when I'm at home (I assume that it is this
> that is causing the message to be reported)

That warning is quite ignorable.  All it means is that dnsmasq will not use
the dhcp lease in response to a dns lookup for KODALY.myworks.domain.com, it
will contact the upstream dns servers.  No harm done.  It's to protect ISPs
against a customer setting their computer name as e.g. www.microsoft.com and
executing a man-in-the-middle attack via dns poisoning.  If the client
provided a name in the domain dnsmasq expected, then queries for that name
would be answered internally from the dhcp information.