[Dnsmasq-discuss] problem with wrong server being returned sometimes

Simon Kelley simon at thekelleys.org.uk
Fri Nov 23 20:44:22 GMT 2007

Brad Langhorst wrote:

> I did check the log and see that you're exactly right about this...
> is it possible to avoid answering *.langhorst.com as 192.168.10.2? I
> really want ONLY "langhorst.com" to resolv. www.langhorst.com etc.
> should not resolv.
>
> I tried /^langhorst.com/ but that was invalid.
>
> adding this to /etc/hosts
>
> 192.168.10.2    strange langhorst.dyndns.org langhorst.com
> 192.168.10.1    bottle
>
> and removing the address=/ lines seems to work
>
> Is that the best way?

It is. The domains between the / characters are not regexs, and they
always match more specific subdomains. Using /etc/hosts is the way to go.

You might like to think about removing the "search" configuration. As
far as I can see it's an evolutionary throwback to the move from a flay
hosts file (for the whole internet) to DNS, and it's really not very
useful for a modern machine.