[Dnsmasq-discuss] using gPXE in chainloader mode

Simon Kelley simon at thekelleys.org.uk
Sun Dec 23 09:45:01 GMT 2007

rance at frontiernet.net wrote:
> Ive puged all the history in the interest of brevity:
>
> This should be my final post on using gPXE with dnsmasq
>
> First, the gPXE peop[e claim that there is a bug in dnsmasq that appends
> an extra chaaracter hex(00) at the end of all dhcp supplied option values.
>
> a snooped dhcpoffer packet with wireshark confirms the asserstion by the
> gPXE people.
>
> The fact is that a 13 character bootfile name is a legth 14 option in
> the dhcpoffer packet
>
> I'm not sure if its a bug in dnsmasq or not, as I don't know the RFCs
> well enough to make a judgement.  But the gPXE people seemed convinced
> that dnsmasq was somehow "wrong" in this.

I'm a bit short of time to do a complete analysis at the moment, I'll
get back to you later with that. It worth knowing that dnsmasq is
supposed to detect buggy microsoft zero-terminated options, and only
send back zero-terminated options only when it sees them.

ie if the hostname sent by the client is zero-terminated, then all
string options returned by dnsmasq will also be zero terminated,
otherwise they won't be. RFC-compliance is definately NOT
zero-terminated, but that will break eg the Windows 98 DHCP client.

It's possible that this code is being confused, or is too simple-minded,

I'm off to stick pins in my effigy of Bill Gates now......