[Dnsmasq-discuss] using gPXE in chainloader mode

rance at frontiernet.net rance at frontiernet.net
Mon Dec 24 00:18:55 GMT 2007

Quoting Carlos Carvalho <carlos at fisica.ufpr.br>:

> rance at frontiernet.net (rance at frontiernet.net) wrote on 23 December
> 2007 01:19:
>  >I'm not sure if its a bug in dnsmasq or not, as I don't know the RFCs
>  >well enough to make a judgement.  But the gPXE people seemed convinced
>  >that dnsmasq was somehow "wrong" in this.
>
> As Simon said, dnsmasq is just trying to cope with buggy clients. Your
> machines cannot handle a terminating null in the filename but my
> machines (pxe rom in Asus motherboards) don't work without it...
>
> You can try to pass options 66 and 67 as dhcp-option directives
> instead of dhcp-boot; these don't include a null byte at the end of
> filenames. Besides, this way you can put the directives in a
> dhcp-optsfile which is re-read with a HUP, instead of having to
> restart dnsmasq. You need version test25 for this.

Due to holiday time constraints the server is now a production server,
and I wont be able to do more testing on this idea for awhile, I saved
my wireshark logs and I can enable gPXE in my "testing" pxemenu
options list.

The gpxe people are going to be coding a workaround for the extra
space as there are a host of devices that requre the space, and
windows dhcp server includes the space as well.

Thanks for the hint about the different ways to specify the optinos,
but Im happy with the production product now, and I will be testing
this again when the gPXE people get the workaround figured out.

its easier for the gPXE people to get it fixed than it is to change
half the devices connected to the net.

Simon:  I saved my wireshark logs, and can export them to you, I'm not
going to be able to test this further till the gPXE people get their
workaround fixed.

Will touch base with you then, I hope this doesnt screw with the
schedule for the next version of dnsmasq, but thats the best I can do
for now.

Merry Christmas all.