[Dnsmasq-discuss] Round robin dns with dnsmasq

Simon Kelley simon at thekelleys.org.uk
Thu Jan 3 09:46:54 GMT 2008

John Hanks wrote:
> Is it possible with dnsmasq to have entries in /etc/hosts like:
>
> 192.168.1.1   server server.domain
> 192.168.1.2   server server.domain
> 192.168.1.3   server server.domain

Yes, that's fine.

> and have queries for server return results in a randomized or
> round-robin order? I haven't found anything in the man page about this
> and in testing, the results are always returned in the same order (I'm
> using 2.38.)

That's very odd. It's intended that the order should be permuted after
each query, and a quick test here shows that the permutation does, in
fact, happen.

How are you doing the test queries? A pure DNS tool like dig, or
something that calls gethostbyname() and  might be doing things behind
your back?