[Dnsmasq-discuss] Question

Heath Woodson heathwoodson at gmail.com
Fri Jan 25 16:47:07 GMT 2008

Setting this up for the first time and I have a simple question but it isnt
clearly answered anywhere. I want to assign ips with DHCP in a static manner
can I just use the /etc/host file on the machine running dnsmasq to do this
and uncomment this line
# Enable the address given for "judge" in /etc/hosts
# to be given to a machine presenting the name "judge" when
# it asks for a DHCP lease.
#dhcp-host=judge

or is it better to use the MAC address lines presented like below?

# Always allocate the host with ethernet address 11:22:33:44:55:66
# The IP address 192.168.0.60
#dhcp-host=00:11:22:33:44:55,192.168.0.60

and will either of these work without uncommenting the range line below(It
sounds like it wont work without this but i dont want any dynamically
assigned IPS..)
# Uncomment this to enable the integrated DHCP server, you need
# to supply the range of addresses available for lease and optionally
# a lease time. If you have more than one network, you will need to
# repeat this for each network on which you want to supply DHCP
# service.
#dhcp-range=192.168.0.50,192.168.0.150,12h

thanks for your help in advance