[Dnsmasq-discuss] Question

xerces8 xerces8 at butn.net
Sat Jan 26 11:09:32 GMT 2008

"Heath Woodson" <heathwoodson at gmail.com> wrote:

> Setting this up for the first time and I have a simple question but it isnt
> clearly answered anywhere. I want to assign ips with DHCP in a static manner
> can I just use the /etc/host file on the machine running dnsmasq to do this
> and uncomment this line
> # Enable the address given for "judge" in /etc/hosts
> # to be given to a machine presenting the name "judge" when
> # it asks for a DHCP lease.
> #dhcp-host=judge

I do that by having lines like this in dnsmasq.conf :

dhcp-host=judge,192.168.100.41

I tried to do this by putting the entries in /etc/hosts,
but it did not work for some reason.
Simon, can you help ? Is there an option needed to enable this ?

That is: no dhcp-host=xxx line in dnsmasq.conf, but a line in /etc/hosts:
192.168.100.41 judge

Regards,
David

PS: Juggling with MAC addresses is silly, when using hostnames is
so much simpler, easier and robust (it still works if one client
replaces his NIC for whatever reason).