[Dnsmasq-discuss] DNSMasq, DHCP, Shorewall, and Proxy Arp

Steve H. steve at csquaredtech.com
Sun Feb 3 03:56:05 GMT 2008

On Saturday 02 February 2008 05:02:01 pm richardvoigt at gmail.com wrote:

**snip**

> I think it's because DNSMasq can simultaneous serve DHCP on multiple
> interfaces, and so it has to map from the interface to the address
> pool.  It uses the interface IP address to do that.  Since it also
> supports relays from beyond other routers, having a route to an
> address is insufficient for giving it out on an interface.

Thats what confuses me - since I'm using a dhcp-host that says 'use the
address in /etc/hosts' - DNSMasq really doesn't need to worry about the
addresses ... It just needs to send whatever was supplied in /etc/hosts.
I realize it needs to check that the I.P. provided in /etc/hosts is in the
range it's allowed to serve.  But other then that - I can't see why it cares.

Steve