[Dnsmasq-discuss] some ip6 question

Jima jima at beer.tclug.org
Tue Feb 19 14:10:25 GMT 2008

On Mon, 18 Feb 2008, Simon Kelley wrote:
> Gergely Gábor wrote:
>> is set up this way (well, some other aliases are there for localhost)
>>  i susally get the ansewar ::1 for quries on other macines, as ipv6
>> is preferred, ans dnsmasq doen't localise those queries... this is
>> unconvinient. is there a way to solve this? is there a waorkaround?
>> Or it is waiting for someone to do the job...
>
> I'm not sure how to fix this: dnsmasq doesn't have a choice if sending
> 10.0.0.100 _or_ ::1. The query which it gets will be for IPv6 or IPv4
> and it can only answer with data of the same type.
>
> It looks like your machine queries IPv6 first, and only tries IPv4 of if
> doesn't get an answer for IPv6. There may be a way to change that, but
> it's a change to the host system, not dnsmasq.

  Not even necessarily the host.  Firefox, for example, has its own setting
for whether or not to look up IPv6 addresses.  (This can cause a problem
with dual-stack setups when the IPv6 address for a record is inaccessible
or firewalled; the attempt has to time out before Firefox tries the IPv4
address.)  For the record, this behavior can be changed via about:config,
under "network.dns.disableIPv6" (just type "ipv6" into the filter box).

      Jima