[Dnsmasq-discuss] question about subnets and interface aliases

Gerrit Kühn gerrit at pmp.uni-hannover.de
Wed Feb 27 09:10:06 GMT 2008

Hi folks,

I have a private network here (192.168.0.0/16) which I have separated in 8
subnets (192.168.0.0/19, 192.168.32.0/19 and so on). I want to run dnsmasq
to serve as dns and dhcp server, but only on one machine. As the
separation of the subnets is purely of logical nature and not
physical (everything on the same switched network), I have configured this
machine with the primary IP address 192.168.0.254/19 and put IP aliases
for all other subnets (192.168.32.254/19 and so on) on that interface.
The free dhcp IP-range for unknown hosts is in the first subnet
(192.168.30.0/24), all others shall be fixed-host entries which are
identified via their MAC addresses.

Now I see the following behaviour:
dhcp-addresses are delivered from the free segment to unknown hosts as
designed. However, fixed-host entries only work if they come from the
first subnet (192.168.0.0/19). If I have dhcp-host entries for any other
subnet, they are completely ignored and the requesting hosts gets an IP
from the free range for unknown hosts instead.

Is my setup completely screwed up and something one should not do, or does
anyone here have an idea how to get things right?
I'm using FreeBSD 7-stable and dnsmasq 2.40 (if that matters).
Any hint is appreciated.

cu
  Gerrit