[Dnsmasq-discuss] DHCP renewals ignoring static addresses

John Grant jgrant at oaty.com
Sat Mar 15 14:28:04 GMT 2008

I have bought some of those (nice!) Logik Internet radios
that use the RECIVA chipset, however they have a strange
DHCP ability.

If I set them to DHCP mode then they will attempt to get a
dynamic address, even if they are specified as static in
dnsmasq.conf. They show up in the lease file with their
correct hostname,
so it's not as if they haven't had their MAC address
recognized (mystatics are all based on MAC address).

To fix this, I edited the lease file in /var and changed
the address that had been assigned to a different
hostname/IP/MAC and restarted dnsmasq.
Rather surprisingly the radio grabbed the next dynamic
address in the range! So it's not even trying to get the
static address!

What can I do about this (other than not use DHCP like I'm
doing now)?