[Dnsmasq-discuss] dnsmasq isn't happy when log file reaches 2GB?

Paul Chambers bod at bod.org
Fri Mar 28 00:34:32 GMT 2008

Does dnsmasq have a problem when the file it's logging to reaches two
gigabytes?

dnsmasq just stopped answering requests. After restarting dnsmasq, and
checking a few of the obvious things, I took a look at the log file, to
find it had grown to 2GB (exactly). When I stopped dnsmasq, truncated
the file and restarted it, all was well again.

My dnsmasq.log file wasn't being rotated, because of a dumb typo. It's
been growing for a while...

Not a bug that'll occur on a correctly-maintained system ;) though I
must admit I appreciate software that lets me know what new ways I've
found to be an idiot... there are so many ways to be an idiot, and I
always appreciate hints about the particular combination I've stumbled upon.

This was with 2.41rc2 (just reminded me to build & install the final
2.41), running on Fedora Core 8.

Paul