[Dnsmasq-discuss] Cache Time Threshold

Simon Kelley simon at thekelleys.org.uk
Wed Apr 9 19:36:20 BST 2008

Nathan Jay Skoglund wrote:
> I wonder if anybody has a way to extend the time that dnscache will
> remember lookups.  I have noticed that after only a few minutes dns
> lookups require more time, which indicate that they are heading upstream
> beyond dnsmasq when used as a cache.
>
> You can read a somewhat futile discussion of the event here:
> <http://community.smoothwall.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=28173>
>
> http://community.smoothwall.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=28173
>
> This would really tickle my fancy, and probably really get adoration
> from satellite guys.
>
> nathan

My take on this is that the DNS admin set the Time-to-live, and it
shouldn't be over-ridden. If the DNS admin wanted a longer time, they
would have set it. Even if you get away with extending the TTL for most
domains, eventually you'll find one which breaks.

I think this position is well articulated by this post which I found,
(and lifted, without permission) on a Gentoo list: