[Dnsmasq-discuss] DNS for DHCP addresses

Erik de Castro Lopo mle+tools at mega-nerd.com
Fri May 2 23:54:38 BST 2008

Hi all,

I'm using dnsmasq on a my LAN both to provide DNS and DHCP.
DNS for external addresses works fine, DHCP also provides
addresses for machines on the LAN.

For the linux DHCP clients I have this:

    send host-name "<hostname>";

in /etc/dhcp3/dhclient.conf which means than when it requests
a DHCP address, it pushes its hostname to the server. Problem
is, I can't figure out how to get dnsmasq to resolve the IP
address it gave the client to the name the client specified.

Is this possible?

Cheers,
Erik
Erik de Castro Lopo