[Dnsmasq-discuss] dnsmasq pegs CPU and hangs?

Alex Chekholko chekh at pcbi.upenn.edu
Wed May 14 18:26:50 BST 2008

Hi,

I have an HPC cluster that uses dnsmasq on a head node with /etc/hosts
for its internal DNS.

Every once in a while, dnsmasq will use 100%CPU and hang, which creates
various problems for the clients.

A 'service dnsmasq reload' succeeds but does not fix the problem. A
'service dnsmasq restart' fixes the problem.  CPU usage is generally ~0%
except when this happens.

I don't see anything useful in the logs.

This is dnsmasq-2.41-1.el5.rf (from RPMforge) on CentOS 5.1.

Any suggestions for troubleshooting?  Looking at the documentation, it
looks like I could turn on complete logging...

Thanks,
Alex