[Dnsmasq-discuss] IPv6 issue

Adam Hardy adam.ant at cyberspaceroad.com
Fri Jun 6 00:36:16 BST 2008

My machine's IPv6 config seems to be up the creek.

It's a LAN internet gateway with debian, iptables, and dnsmasq for
a DHCP and DNS server.

The most obvious symptom is IPv6 ping6 doesn't work.

This is on Debian Etch linux 2.6.20 - can anyone tell me what controls
the config for IPv6 here?

adam at isengard:~$ sudo ping6  ::1
Password:
PING ::1(::1) 56 data bytes
ping: sendmsg: Operation not permitted
ping: sendmsg: Operation not permitted
ping: sendmsg: Operation not permitted
ping: sendmsg: Operation not permitted

I also found this while searching:

http://storybridge.org/wordpress/2007/06/20/dnsmasq-does-not-like-ipv6/

which sounds useful but I'm not sure why it would work or where it
should go.

The worst effect of this is that it's causing a time-out issue with the Apache
Tomcat web server, and essentially I'm getting a connection time-out and failure
during tomcat's start-up routine.

I have this working fine on a workstation machine, so I figured it must be
something I've done with my server's config.

Thanks in advance,
Adam