[Dnsmasq-discuss] NAPTR support planned?

Simon Kelley simon at thekelleys.org.uk
Wed Jun 11 16:06:09 BST 2008

Johan Bergquist XR wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> Does anyone know if support for NAPTR queries (that is, being able to
> define NAPTR records in the same way that you can define for instance
> SRC and PTR records today) is planned for dnsmasq and, if so, how far
> away that support is?

Boy, RFC2915 looks complex! However, as far as I can see, all the
complexity is loaded on the client/resolver. The server just has to spit
out data. Adding support to dnsmasq is simply a question of adding
option-parsing code and something to add_resource_record() in rfc1035.c.

The only difficulty is deciding if the global utility is owrth the extra
code-size: is NAPTR support likely to be useful to a reasonable number
of people?