[Dnsmasq-discuss] dnsmasq rc5 segfault

Jan 'RedBully' Seiffert redbully at cc.fh-luh.de
Fri Jul 11 20:47:49 BST 2008

Carlos Carvalho wrote:
> Today dnsmasq died. It was the first time since I use it :-(
>
> In its log there's no sign of problems. The last entry is for a
> DHCPNAK; it's the only such record with 2.43. The kernel log says
>
> Jul 11 14:27:38 hoggar dnsmasq[11797]: segfault at 10 ip 08061e91 sp bfffe770 error 4 in dnsmasq[8048000+22000]
>
> The kernel is compiled with several PAX protections, in particular
> non-executable pages.
>
> Any ideas on how to debug this? All I can imagine demand a significant
> amount of work here :-(

How long did it run before crashing?
Anything special at that time? (like begin of work in the morning or
such thing)
With significant amount you mean? So no chance for a core-file?

I could dig up some code to get a backtrace on crash, but its dead ugly
code and dangerous with additional risk of not getting a usable backtrace.
And yeah, dnsmasq has to crash first and you have to capture the output
somehow (no, will not reach the logs).

Greetings
	Jan

C++ : an octopus made by nailing extra legs onto a dog.