[Dnsmasq-discuss] Multiple entries in /etc/ethers with same IP not working

Hanno Foest hurga-dnsmasq at tigress.com
Tue Jul 15 03:32:06 BST 2008

Hi,

I tried to use static entries in /etc/ethers today, and I thought it
would be a good idea to assign the same IP to both MACs of my laptop
(for WLAN and ethernet), so that the computer gets the same IP/host name
no matter which network connection I use.

Unfortunately it didn't work. The logs indicated that /etc/ethers was
being read, but it had no effect, I still got dynamic IPs assigned. But
as soon as I deleted the line for the other MAC, or gave it a different
IP, things started to work as expected.

Question: Is this a bug, or is this behaviour intentional? (Why?)

I'm running dnsmasq 2.35-1 on OpenWRT 0.9 (Whiterussian).

Hanno