[Dnsmasq-discuss] Where does the complete dump go?

Carlos Carvalho carlos at fisica.ufpr.br
Thu Jul 24 21:48:01 BST 2008

Brad Morgan (b-morgan at concentric.net) wrote on 24 July 2008 14:15:
 >After playing with dnsmasq log-queries for a while, I think there should be
 >a signal that dynamically toggles this option. Stopping and starting dnsmasq
 >doesn't work because it clears the cache and that's what I'm trying to
 >discover... Is the wrong answer coming out of cache or is it coming from the
 >DNS servers themselves and if so, which one if I have more than one to
 >choose from.
[removed]
 >I'd rather not leave log-queries on all the time as it generates lots of log
 >entries but I would like to turn it on when I have a problem (and off again
 >after resolving the issue).

If you turn logging off after solving it there's no problem in
restarting dnsmasq without the cache. The benefit of the signal would
be only to preserve the cache.

The size of the logs is not a problem if properly managed through
rotation and compression. The inconvenience is only the cpu that it
takes, apparently mainly for generating and formatting the time stamp.
However, you need a really high flux for the cpu consumption to become
noticeable.