[Dnsmasq-discuss] Supporting more than one domain.

Olaf Westrik weizen_42 at ipcop-forum.de
Mon Jul 28 19:34:03 BST 2008

Simon Kelley wrote:

>>> Elaborate the "domain=" config option so that, as well as
>>>
>>> domain=example.org
>>>
>>> the following are also valid
>>>
>>> domain=example.org,192.168.100.128,192.168.100.180
>>> domain=subnet.example.org,192.168.100.0/24
>>> domain=anothernet.example.org,2001:db8:100:f101:210:a4ff:fee3:9566/64
>> Would it not be better / easier to make that:
>> domain=[net:<network-id,]<domain>
>>
>> If you are handing out differing domains, you are likely to hand out
>> other options as well. All requiring network-id.
>
> That was the original suggestion, the problem with it is that the
> network-id set is generated dynamically during a DHCP transaction. The
> really difficult time for this is when dnsmasq starts up: at that time
> it has to populate the DNS using the information in the leases file and
> the configuration file, generating net-tags during startup is even more
> difficult than storing the domain directly in the lease file.

ah, sorry I was thinking about the sending of dhcp-options. Probably
forgot dnsmasq primary function: resolving names.

Of course the domain-name can be send using dhcp-option 15 as is.

>> Along a similar line you could also do
>> bootp-dynamic[=<network-id[,<network-id>]]
>> (probably the last dhcp option that is not net related ;-))
>>

> That's a good idea; I'll do that.

Thank you.
That's the only obvious thing I found whilst converting from ISC dhcp to
dnsmasq.

Olaf

--

A weizen a day helps keep the doctor away.