[Dnsmasq-discuss] illegal domain in dhcp-config directive

Jason Dixon jdixon at omniti.com
Tue Jul 29 12:40:52 BST 2008

On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 07:48:32AM +0100, Simon Kelley wrote:
> Jason Dixon wrote:
>> Thanks to the recent vulnerability, I'm upgrading an older dnsmasq
>> system from version 2.34 to 2.45.  I've installed it and attempted to
>> run it, but I get the following error.
>>
>> dnsmasq: illegal domain 04-06.lab.foobar.com in dhcp-config directive.
>>
>> The same configuration works fine with 2.34, so I presume something has
>> changed in the configuration syntax or default settings.  I haven't
>> found anything on Google or in the FAQ about this error, nor do I see
>> any "dhcp-config" directives in our config files or the sample config.
>> Here is the relevant line from our config:
>>
>> dhcp-host=00:0c:29:02:1f:06,ubuntu-8.04-06.lab.foobar.com,172.16.117.105
>>
>> It doesn't appear to be anything specifically with that line.  We have a
>> couple hundred of these loaded by dnsmasq.  If I comment out that one,
>> the next preceding one will error.  I'm not experienced with dnsmasq, so
>> I'm putting myself at the mercy of this list.  Any help will be greatly
>> appreciated.  :)
>>
>> Thanks,
>>

> As far as I can see, this error can only be occuring because the domain
> part of the name your applying to that host doesn't match the domain
> specified for dnsmasq to use by the domain=<domain> config option.
>
> AFAIK dnsmasq has never allowed you to send a FQDN to a host unless it
> matches the domain setting (this is to avoid hosts impersonating, eg
> www.microsoft.com) but the check in this case has been moved from
> run-time, where it will log an error, to a fatal error at start-up
>
> The fix may be as simple as adding
>
> domain=04-06.lab.foobar.com
>
> (and you can remove the domain parts from all the dhcp-host lines as
> well, if you wish. If they stay, they must match the domain given)

We have mixed domains in our configuration.  I see the following line in
the main dnsmasq.conf, which would account for most of the dhcp-host
entries:

local=/lab.foobar.com/wifi.foobar.com/

I see no domain directives anywhere.  I suspect that adding
04-06.lab.foobar.com to the local directive might be sufficient, but I'm
just guessing.  And yes, this configuration works fine with
dnsmasq-2.34.

--
Jason Dixon
OmniTI Computer Consulting, Inc.