My Emailiases: Re: My Emailiases: [Dnsmasq-discuss] multiple domain support - question

Simon Kelley simon at thekelleys.org.uk
Wed Aug 6 10:22:03 BST 2008

richardvoigt at gmail.com wrote:

> However useful sounding, I submit to you that this is broken.
>
> If you are connected on wireless, you get a lease, the name is
> associated to wireless.
> When you connect on wired, the name is associated to the wired address.
> When you disconnect from wired, the wireless lease may still be valid
> (why wouldn't it be?), so the dnsmasq server isn't contacted and
> doesn't update the name back to the wireless address.

I've never come across a DHCP client that doesn't move to INIT-REBOOT
state when it loses and regains a network connection, or some
equivalent. In practise this means that when the wireless connection is
re-established, the client renews the lease even if it has local
information that says the lease has not yet expired. That moves the
name->address mapping back to the wireless address and all is good.

Works for me.

Of course if the wireless interface is left up whilst using the wired
one, the situation you describe can happen, but so can other problems
with default routes and controlling which interface is actually used.