[Dnsmasq-discuss] Sequential address assignment

Eric Thibodeau kyron at neuralbs.com
Wed Aug 20 19:25:22 BST 2008

    I would like to know if it would be possible to add a simple feature
that would tell dnsmasq to assign addresses sequentially (ie:
--dhcp-sequential). I am looking at address_allocate() in dhcp.c and it
would seem feasible without much "damage" but I'm not accustomed to the
code sufficiently to propose a patch. The obvious question is WHY? Well,
here is a use case:

    I am building a clustering livecd (as stated in a previous e-mail)
and one of the tasks which tends to be long, annoying and error prone is
the identification of nodes, typing of MAC addresses and node number
assignment, which usually comes in the form of a static configuration
file. To ease the process, one would fire up dnsmasq (on the master
node) and sequentially start his slave nodes for the first time. I make
sure the assignment remains static after the initial start by
auto-generating (dhcp-script) the dnsmas.ndoes.conf which I'd obviously
source within dnsmasq.conf.

    Is this a reasonable feature to ask for? Does this violate any RFC?
As far as security is concerned, it's not an issue since this is a
closed network.

Thanks,

Eric Thibodeau