[Dnsmasq-discuss] Request for brain-storm: Rogue dhcp-servers on the lan

Rune Kock rune.kock at gmail.com
Fri Aug 22 22:32:35 BST 2008

> Well, it sounds like you're running some sort of ISPish service sort of like
> one you'd see as a community service with somewhat "loose" management...btw,
> I am not saying this as an insult I am attempting to picture your actual
> setup and constraints.

Yes, community service is exactly what it is.  (See
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Svanholm).

> If you have the luxury of a level2 switch and
> 1-client per port, you could probably deny DHCPOFFER from any ports other
> than your own DHCP (don't quote me on the actual DHCP message, just block
> serve responses is the idea). Even if you have more than 1 client/port you
> should enable such filtering to at least isolate the propagation of invalid
> addresses.

So these switches have a kind of firewall on each port?  I've never
used a really high-end switch, so I don't know what it can do.  But
this would surely solve the problem.  But if we are talking thousands
of dollars, it's probably too expensive.

> Yes, most definitely, configure your servers with a static IP (served by
> DHCP with rather long leases) and keep them on an isolated broadcast network
> (if possible) and try to use an improbable network address base like
> 10.103.42.x/24 for them so chances are they won't come in conflict with
> another router's accidental assignment.

Yes, I'll try to do that.

I really appreciate the feedback from you and the others on the list.
Though a simple fix hasn't turned up (never thought it would), you
have given me a number of approaches to try.

Rune