[Dnsmasq-discuss] dnsmasq and freenum.org issue

Simon Kelley simon at thekelleys.org.uk
Thu Sep 4 21:42:04 BST 2008

Larry Matter wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been using dnsmasq for a while now and love it.  It's perfect for my
> home LAN setup.  I have one issue, however, trying to use the services of
> freenum.org.   Forgive me, but I'm not well versed in DNS so I may not
> explain the problem that well.
>
> As I understand it, freenum essentially uses DNS to turn a "phone number"
> into an SIP url (or a SIP url regular expression).    It uses NAPTR
> records, for which I understand support was added in 2.43.  I'm running
> 2.45.

The addition in 2.43 was to support local NAPTR records, dnsmasq has
always been capable of forwarding NAPTR queries and returning the
results. (This is true of all DNS record types.)

> Dialing a "freenum" number works from my freeswitch installation when
> using an outside DNS server, but when I point it to my local dnsmasq, it
> does not.   Doing a "dig xxx.freenum.org NAPTR" command against dnsmasq
> and the outside server shows the same thing, except that dnsmasq sets the
> aa flag.

Indeed, that seems to work fine here.

> Here is the output from dnsmasq -d:
>
> dnsmasq: query[A] 4.3.2.1.256.freenum.org from 192.168.1.xxx
> dnsmasq: forwarded 4.3.2.1.256.freenum.org to 216.218.159.179
> dnsmasq: query[A] 4.3.2.1.256.freenum.org from 192.168.1.xxx
> dnsmasq: forwarded 4.3.2.1.256.freenum.org to 216.218.159.179

Something is making queries for A records (IP addresses) there. Do you
see something like

dnsmasq: query[NAPTR] 4.3.2.1.256.freenum.org from 192.168.1.xxx

too?

One posibility, do you have the filterwin2k flag set in the dnsmasq
config? It's possible that PTR lookups are involved somewhere in this
process, and filterwin2k can interfere with that.