[Dnsmasq-discuss] Feature Request?

Simon Kelley simon at thekelleys.org.uk
Wed Sep 17 14:36:46 BST 2008

Jorge Bastos wrote:
> Hi Simon,
>
> What can you say about this?

It rather depends on what you mean by "doesn't respond". The
possibilities I can think of are

1) network error "No route to host" talking to upstream server.
2) Upstream server returns NXDOMAIN or NODATA reply.
3) Upstream server returns SERVFAIL or REFUSED return codes.
4) Upstream server doesn't reply at all.

1) is already detected, and results is a REFUSED reply to the original
requestor, that could be customised fairly easily.

2) are legitimate replies and shouldn't be interfered with,
3) are arguably also legit replies, but could be substituted.

4) Is difficult to even reliably detect. DNS usually uses UDP as a
transport, the only way to substitute a different reply for no-reply
from the upstream server is to use a shorter time-out then the original
requestor. Since the length of that time-out is not known, that's
difficult to do reliably.

On top of this, messing with the DNS in this way can have unexpected
results: it sounds like you're trying to control the web-surfing
experience, but DNS is not just the web. If having the DNS go down
results in substituted results rather than errors, you could easily find
the contents of your mail spool delivered to your local webserver or,
more likely, bounced by it. There's also the problem that the results of
DNS lookups can get cached in surprising places, leading to problems
after connectivity is restored.