[Dnsmasq-discuss] Override DNS servers in DHCP packet

A C agcme at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 24 01:51:39 BST 2008

> Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2008 18:02:13 -0400
> From: chekh at pcbi.upenn.edu
> To: agcme at hotmail.com
> CC: dnsmasq-discuss at thekelleys.org.uk
> Subject: Re: [Dnsmasq-discuss] Override DNS servers in DHCP packet
>
> On Tue, 23 Sep 2008 15:45:24 -0400
> A C <agcme at hotmail.com> wrote:
>

> > Does dnsmasq use the DNS servers listed in /etc/resolv.conf over those listed in a DHCP packet?  I was forced to use DHCP for my public connection but I don't want to use the provided DNS servers as they are slower than the ones I had manually configured.
>
> I think typically the DHCP client would write /etc/resolv.conf with the
> information it is provided by the DHCP server.  Then dnsmasq looks
> there, unless you configure it otherwise.
>
> If you're talking about serving up different DNS servers via dnsmasq's
> bult-in DHCP server, then take a look at: dnsmasq --help dhcp

I was indeed talking about the first situation and not serving up alternate DNS servers.  As it turns out, my installation is using udhcpd and writing the data to /tmp/resolv.conf while dnsmasq is still looking at /etc/resolv.conf.  Since I don't have any directives to look at any other resolv.conf that I can see, I think it's safe to assume that dnsmasq is honoring my own /etc/resolv.conf and ignoring the DHCP packet.