[Dnsmasq-discuss] The same address on mulitple interface issue (yet again)...

John Gray gray at agora-net.com
Thu Sep 25 13:23:58 BST 2008

Simon Kelley wrote:

> How about this as a solution?
>
> Allow more than one MAC address in a dhcp-host statement, so that it's
> possible to specify all the possible MAC addresses that a IP can be
> assigned to.
>
> If a MAC address asks for an IP address which is already in use, and the
> IP address is leased to one of the other MAC addresses specified, allow
> take-over.
>
> This has the advantage that it doesn't change the behaviour of any
> currently-legal configuration, and it makes the intention  of
> newly-possible configurations explicit.
>
> dhcp-host=1.2.3.4,<MAC of interface 1>,<MAC of interface 2>
>

> Implementing this should be fairly straightforward.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Simon.

Hi Simon,

That sounds like a good plan, but I've been using the /etc/ethers file
to define my static addresses.  I'd really like to have support to be
able to specify multiples in there.

I looked around the code a bit.  And it didn't look like it would be too
hard to swing that either.

John

John Gray                           gray at agora-net.com
AgoraNet, Inc.                      (302) 224-2475
314 E. Main Street, Suite 1         (302) 224-2552 (fax)
Newark, De 19711                    http://www.agora-net.com