[Dnsmasq-discuss] multiple host names?

Simon Kelley simon at thekelleys.org.uk
Tue Oct 7 14:45:43 BST 2008

richardvoigt at gmail.com wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 19, 2008 at 5:14 PM, Simon Kelley <simon at thekelleys.org.uk> wrote:
>> AJ Weber wrote:
>>> Can we make it a low-priority FR?  Would seem straight DNS can effectively
>>> do it, as can an /etc/hosts file.  Some kind of "alias" feature for hosts?
>> Sure can, it's not a straightforward as you might think to define the
>> semantics: what happens if one host is abe, bert and carl, then another jost
>> comes along an claims to be abe, does the first one get to keep bert and
>> carl. Which name is used for reverse lookups?
>
> I'd imagine that bert and carl continue to be CNAME records returning
> abe, that is, they stick to the name, not the host.
CNAE is the obviuos way to go. There's something of a problem with
CNAMES, it's not possible to have as a CNAME target a name which comes
from an upstream nameserver, An alias command which is limited to
locally-known names is possible.

alias=somealias,google.com

is not possible, but

alias=somealias,mylaptop.lan

is. Probably this should be implemented so that the CNAME does not exist
unless the target does and is local.

  As aliases, they
> should not be returned for reverse lookups (unless in the future a
> configuration option is created for manual control over PTR records).

That already exists, --ptr-record.