[Dnsmasq-discuss] Getting dnsmasq to serve fqdns as the hostname

Alex Kiernan alex.kiernan at gmail.com
Tue Oct 14 11:24:39 BST 2008

I'm trying to use dnsmasq to serve DHCP/DNS for a Solaris network
install server (jumpstart). It works perfectly and the DNS/DHCP
integration means that lots of the traditional problems go away (the
problem is that the Solaris installation procedure won't setup DNS as
the name service unless you already have DNS for the machine you're
building in place).

dnsmasq works absolutely perfectly for this, with one minor problem -
I need to serve an FQDN in the hostname option; if I feed this to
dnsmasq in a dhcp-host then unless my domain setting matches it
rejects it, and even then it strips it to the basename. If instead I
force through an option 12, whilst it serves the FQDN, it doesn't
update the DNS so the DNS checks fail later in the install.

At the moment I'm working around it by removing the section of code
from check_dhcp_hosts which enforces the domain/fqdn
matching/stripping behaviour, but is there another way? Or another way
which I could implement which is cleaner?

--
Alex Kiernan