[Dnsmasq-discuss] Re: DCHP server not assign IP addresses

Troy Piggins troy at piggo.com
Wed Nov 19 01:28:20 GMT 2008

* Rune Kock wrote :
> On Tue, Nov 18, 2008 at 13:05, Troy Piggins <troy at piggo.com> wrote:
> > * Rune Kock wrote :
> > <snip />
> >> I still think that the firewall is the most likely problem.  Or is
> >> there some kind of router/wireless between the NAS and your dnsmasq
> >> machine?
> >
> > To be honest, it can't be the firewall anyway.  All traffic from
> > the internal network is allowed by default.  The only
> > blocking/dropping rules are on the external interface.
>
> As I said, iptables is not a strong point for me.  But when I read
> your setup, it seems that you do not actually accept ethernet
> broadcasts; you only accept 192.168.xxx.xxx packets, and obviously,
> the NAS will not know to use that address range the first time.
>
> Maybe something like:
> -m addrtype --dst-type BROADCAST -j ACCEPT

Hi Rune, and thanks for sticking with me!  You were right all
along, of course.  I had missed the fact that I wasn't allowing
lan interface udp packets - I had assumed I allowed everything
from internal network and was only filtering external packets.

It's all sorted and working now.

And thanks also to Paul and Richard.

--
Troy Piggins | http://piggo.com/~troy
Peter Anspach's Top 100 Thing's I'd Do If I Ever Became An Evil Overlord: