[Dnsmasq-discuss] Bug: dhcp-range doesn't like net:id syntax

Simon Kelley simon at thekelleys.org.uk
Wed Nov 19 11:16:49 GMT 2008

Ben wrote:
> The following syntax doesn't appear to work.
>
> dhcp-range=net:lan,1.1.1.1,1.1.1.254,255.255.255.0,24h
>
> It doesn't raise an error at startup.
>
> DHCP, IP range 1.1.1.1 -- 1.1.1.254, lease time 1d
>
> errors upon a clients dhcp request, "no address available".  Removing
> the "net:" works.

I'm not proud of this, but both forms are valid, and mean different things.

 From  man dnsmasq:

"The optional network-id is a alphanumeric label which marks this
network so that dhcp options may be specified on a per-network basis.
When it is prefixed with 'net:' then its meaning changes from setting
a tag to matching it. Only one tag may be set, but more than one tag may
be matched."