[Dnsmasq-discuss] Questions about "resolv-file"

Hugo Heden hugoheden at gmail.com
Mon Feb 9 12:04:04 GMT 2009

Good day all,

Total rookie here. I am trying to understand things first by reading
documentation, i.e without really testing stuff. I have a few
questions about the "resolv-file" option in the configuration file, as
explained in:

http://www.thekelleys.org.uk/dnsmasq/docs/dnsmasq.conf.example
http://www.thekelleys.org.uk/dnsmasq/docs/dnsmasq-man.html

Ok, the example config file says (NOTE the typo in the example-conf
file: "other that" should be "other than"):

# Change this line if you want dns to get its upstream servers from
# somewhere other that /etc/resolv.conf
#resolv-file=

Q--1-- Does this mean that

(a) the nameservers specified in [resolv-file] will be *added* to the
ones in /etc/resolv.conf?

*Or*

(b) will the file(s) specified in [resolv-file] *override* the default
/etc/resolv.conf (so that dns will use servers specified in
[resolv-file] *instead of* in /etc/resolv.conf)?

Q--2-- Can the resolv-file option be used to specify *several* files?

The reason I ask the latter is that the man-page talks about using
more than one resolv.conf file, but does not specify if dnsmasq can be
told to do this using the conf-file:

"Dnsmasq can be told to parse more than one resolv.conf file. This is
useful on a laptop, where both PPP and DHCP may be used: dnsmasq can
be set to poll both /etc/ppp/resolv.conf and /etc/dhcpc/resolv.conf
and will use the contents of whichever changed last, giving automatic
switching between DNS servers."

Best regards

Hugo Heden
Stockholm, Sweden