[Dnsmasq-discuss] Feature request: make dnsmasq able to work as a proxydhcp

Άλκης Άλκης
Thu Mar 26 18:14:42 GMT 2009

Στις 26-03-2009, ημέρα Πεμ, και ώρα 16:48 +0000, ο/η Simon Kelley
έγραψε:
> Alkis,
>
> Why is pxe <http://www.kano.org.uk/projects/pxe/> not suitable to do this?

This project is only suitable for the first scenario that Guilherme
described - meaning that the server it provides only listens on port
4011.
So the existing DHCP server must be modified to send the string
"PXEClient".

This cannot be done if we don't have control over the DHCP server (and
we wouldn't really need a proxydhcp if we did), or if the DHCP server
doesn't support sending custom strings (e.g. a cheap
modem/router/dhcp-server that cannot be substituted by a proper PC-based
dhcp server for policy reasons).

So someone would have to modify this project to be suitable for the
second scenario (=actually the only needed one): to listen for
broadcasted DHCPDISCOVERs on port 67 and answer with an empty DHCPOFFER
with PXEclient as the vendor identifier. And of course he would have to
maintain the project (last version = 2004).

And then we would have to install dnsmasq as well for the tftp and maybe
the dns server.

So if you could make dnsmasq (also) act as a proxydhcp, you'd be
providing us with a clean solution (actually AFAIK the only open source
working solution), and doing us a great favor... :-)

Kind regards,
Alkis Georgopoulos