[Dnsmasq-discuss] Feature request: make dnsmasq able to work as a proxydhcp

Guilherme Moro guilherme.moro at gmail.com
Tue Mar 31 19:14:19 BST 2009

2009/3/31 Simon Kelley <simon at thekelleys.org.uk>

> Guilherme Moro wrote:
>
>> hello all,
>>
>> You implemented the pxe menu system (really messy spec), great work !
>>
>> for the proxyDHCP, cant make it work here, what exactly to add to
>> dnsmasq.conf ( never used the dnsmasq before ) ?
>>
>> I put only :
>>
>> interface=eth0
>> dhcp-range=192.168.1.0,proxy
>> log-dhcp
>>
>> it output something showing the received packet, but dont respond to the
>> DISCOVER, the output :
>>
>> dnsmasq-dhcp: DHCP packet: transaction-id is 2735344808
>> dnsmasq-dhcp: Available DHCP subnet: 192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0 <
>> http://192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0>
>> dnsmasq-dhcp: Vendor class: PXEClient:Arch:00000:UNDI:002001
>>

> You need a pxe-prompt line and at least one pxe-service line too: it's not
> clear if you have those or not.
>
> If dnsmasq detects a PXE DISCOVER and sends a proxy reply, it will log
> something like:
>
> dnsmasq PXE(eth0) <MAC address> proxy
>
> Any DHCPDISCOVER packet which has option 60 as "PXEClient*" will trigger  a
> broadcast DHCPOFFER reply.
>
> Simon.

Ok, now working, but why proxy DHCP is attached with boot menus? There
should be a option to just throw the bootfilename to the client using proxy,
I think.

>  About the 4011 port, the first version of my proxy responded only the
>> DISCOVER with an OFFER, as you described, but some clients (specifically the
>> 3com client of some cards I have here) follows the spec strictly, and if
>> detect a proxyDHCP, they only accept to boot from a filename that come from
>> a REQUEST on port 4011 , they just thrown away the empty IP OFFER that he
>> get on the DISCOVER.
>>

> I'm confused: you are  saying that the bootserver request moves to port
> 4011, or the proxyDHCP request? Can you tell me what 3com cards hit the
> problem? I may be able to get hold of one for testing.

Sorry for the confusion, I have made tests here with my 3com card, and using
pxe-menu the card accepts the OFFER.
its not the spec behavior, but should work with almost all clients.
Perhaps my proxyDHCP implementation have some other problem that pass
unnoticed.

Great work, now we have a open source solution for proxyDHCP.  =)

Guilherme Moro