[Dnsmasq-discuss] using DHCP with virtual interfaces

Tom Metro tmetro+dnsmasq at gmail.com
Tue Apr 7 23:30:52 BST 2009

Simon Kelley wrote:
> The behaviour WRT to MAC addresses and client-identifiers is mandated by
> the DHCP standards, which don't allow the server to assume identify
> between two hosts with different MAC addresses or client-ids based on
> the hostname it supplies.

Ah, OK. I wasn't aware of that. I suspect most casual users of DHCP
wouldn't be either. Superficially the two attributes seem like they
should be interchangeable (in terms of their impact on the IP address
selection decision logic), and if I recall correctly the man page
doesn't say otherwise.

I'd like to offer a documentation patch to correct for that, but I'm not
sure if tacking another paragraph onto the dhcp-host documentation is
the best place for it. I'm wondering if something more like a "theory of
operation" section, which could then document the full set of steps
Dnsmasq uses to get from discover to offer, would be the better way to
go. Sure, it's going to be largely redundant with what's in the RFC, but
  it'll be documenting things specific to the Dnsmasq implementation as
well.

I see the man page already has a few paragraphs near the end covering
network-id, which is a portion of the DHCP decision logic. This patch
would probably involve reorganizing the notes section, renaming it
something like OPERATION, giving DNS and DHCP their own sub-headings,
and putting the signal behaviors under their own SIGNALS heading.

Would this approach make sense? I could take a stab at a first draft for
it, using the RFC as guidance, but I'd be dependent on you to refine it
to be Dnsmasq-specific.

  -Tom

--
Tom Metro