[Dnsmasq-discuss] Try next forward servers after NXDOMAIN

Rune Kock rune.kock at gmail.com
Tue Apr 21 16:32:22 BST 2009

On Sun, Apr 19, 2009 at 09:29, Petteri Heinonen
<petteri.j.heinonen at kolumbus.fi> wrote:
> - Our organization has the primary master DNS, which does not serve dynamic
> DNS updates however. Only static entries there.
> - In one of our departments (the one I happen to be administrator of) hosts
> would need to use dynamic DNS updates however.
> - The domain (lets call that ourdomain.com) would need to be same
> everywhere, so I cannot use for example subdomain.ourdomain.com.

Why can't you just use dnsmasq as DHCP and DNS for your local
department.  Then your local hosts will automatically be registered,
and their addresses can be resolved from any other machine in the
department.  Dnsmasq should still query the upstream server for any
machine name that it doesn't know itself.

Of course, this will still not allow machines outside of your
department to resolve the addresses of your hosts, unless you can tell
them to use your dnsmasq for their queries.  But then that can never
be fixed without the cooperation of the authoritative DNS-server for
the domain.

Or maybe I just don't fully understand the problem.

Rune