[Dnsmasq-discuss] Cache Size

Tom Metro tmetro+dnsmasq at gmail.com
Mon May 18 22:07:53 BST 2009

Terry Stone wrote:
> Can anyone tell me how long DNSMASQ holds information in the cache...

I would assume the length of time varies per record, as it is something
specified as part of the record. It's part of the DNS protocol that the
upstream server gets to say how long a record is good for.

> ...and if it is possible to lengthen that time.

I suspect not.

> Asterisk has an unfortunate trait that if SIP trunks that register with
> a VOIP provider cannot obtain DNS resolution all SIP extensions stop
> working for internal phone calls.

Your best bet is probably to make sure this bug is filed with Asterisk
and encourage the developers to fix it.

Another option might be to use a SIP proxy. That might put a layer
between your Asterisk server and your VoIP provider, such that Asterisk
doesn't notice when the WAN connection is down.

  -Tom

--
Tom Metro
Venture Logic, Newton, MA, USA