[Dnsmasq-discuss] Configuring dnsmasq for two interfaces

Konrad dnsmasq at habdich.net
Thu May 28 00:16:41 BST 2009

Hello,

my name is Konrad and I am a dnsmasq-user ;o).

Uhm, I have a little problem. I was using dnsmasq for some time now as a
dns and dhcp server in my home network and it worked like a charm. I
configured it for my wired network interface (eth0) and used the
wireless one (wlan0) for internet sharing. I also defined some hosts in
/etc/hosts to make use of apache.

Right now I want to change that configuration. My plan is to drop
internetsharing and configure the wlan interface to provide an ad-hoc
network.

this is an extract of my script that configures network interfaces:

touch /var/lock/subsys/local
ifconfig eth0 up
ifconfig eth0 192.168.100.1
iwconfig wlan0 mode ad-hoc
iwconfig wlan0 channel 4
iwconfig wlan0 essid "lan"
ifconfig wlan0 up
ifconfig wlan0 192.168.100.2

my dnsmasq.conf looks like that:

dhcp-range=192.168.100.100,192.168.100.199,3h
dhcp-option=3,192.168.100.1
dhcp-option=6,192.168.100.1

But this does not work. When I connect via WLAN, there seems to be no
dhcp at all.

My plan is that when a computer is connected to the network (wlan0 or
eth0) dhcp provides an ip (192.168.100.100 to 192.168.100.199) so that
the computer can communicate with any other on the network (regardless
if they are connected wireless or not).

Thanks for reading. Any help would be appreciated.

Bye

Konrad