[Dnsmasq-discuss] DHCP not working for netmask 255.255.0.0?

A C agcme at hotmail.com
Sat Jun 13 04:01:42 BST 2009

> From: rune.kock at gmail.com
> Date: Sat, 13 Jun 2009 04:15:03 +0200
> Subject: Re: [Dnsmasq-discuss] DHCP not working for netmask 255.255.0.0?
> To: agcme at hotmail.com
> CC: dnsmasq-discuss at lists.thekelleys.org.uk
>
> > my one wireless machine would not acquire a lease.
>
> Is dnsmasq only used as DHCP-server by that single machine?  If other
> clients use dnsmasq as well, does it work for them?

It's the DHCP server for several machines.  I only had the laptop running at the time which is why I noticed.  I tried it with a second machine (a PDA) with the same results.

> On Sat, Jun 13, 2009 at 03:34, A C<agcme at hotmail.com> wrote:
> > Well, it seems to start up normally.  It just never seems to get a DHCP
> > request.  There's nothing in the logs after the initial startup messages
> > (like loading /etc/ethers).  As soon as I revert the netmask on the router
> > to 255.255.255.0 everything starts working again.
>
> Maybe you have a firewall running that blocks broadcast?  A change of
> netmask may require a change of the firewall setup as well.

There's no broadcast firewall set up on the internal network.  The only firewall is on the WAN side of the router.  A quick double check confirms there are no anti-broadcast rules on the LAN side.