[Dnsmasq-discuss] using dnsmasq to restrict dns resolution to only certain domains

richardvoigt at gmail.com richardvoigt at gmail.com
Tue Jun 30 15:35:38 BST 2009

On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 8:51 AM, Mandeep
Sandhu<mandeepsandhu.chd at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Stupid question :)
>
> Can I configure dnsmasq to restrict dns resolution for only specific domains?
>
> I think the answer is "no", as I couldn't find any option in dnsmasq.conf to do
> the same. Still wanted to check with the experts here.
>
> Here's my requirement:
>
> * I have a small device with to communication interfaces - lets call
> them if1 and if2.
> * if1 is connected to say a PC and if2 is connected to a dsl modem/router.
> * I want that the PC host, when using this device, should connect to
> only 1 server on the internet (say myserver.net).
> * The PC cannot use IP addresses directly as IP routing between the 2
> interfaces on the device is disabled.

If routing is disabled, then you've got a proxy, right?  You won't
need to provide any DNS service to clients at all, because they
wouldn't be able to use the IP addresses they got back.  And the proxy
implementation can easily filter or redirect based on hostname or any
other part of the URL.