[Dnsmasq-discuss] extension of configuration files

Helmut Hullen Hullen at t-online.de
Mon Jul 6 07:11:00 BST 2009

Hallo, Carlos,

Du meintest am 05.07.09:

>> I guess the problem is knowing _which_ files should be ignored ( how
>> many conventions are there?) and not ignoring files which someone,
>> somewhere, thinks are perfectly OK and should be used.

> That's clearly impossible. If you decide to do it there are only two
> possibilities: define the (only) extension in dnsmasq, or do it like
> apache, as Michael says. I think the later is too much bloat. I'd
> rather not have any exclusion but since you ruled this out we're left
> with the first alternative.

If dnsmasq had defined "allowed extensions" from the beginning there
would be no problem, but it hasn't. And therefore every user may have
declared his own extensions (or no one). Therefor dnsmasq cannot change
its behaviour - I had forgotten this small problem ...

> What about just leaving it as it's now? :-)

Under my slackware installation I'll write my special slackware
extension watcher ... it first has to look what's the name of "conf-
dir". Ugly.

Viele Gruesse!
Helmut